Assistant Welfare Manager
- To work with the Welfare Manager to oversee the welfare of all students, both on and off-site
- Assist the Welfare Manager in the allocation of rooms for all students and staff
- Responsible for the supervision of student residences as well as working with the Welfare Manager in ensuring the safety and security of the students plus their enjoyment at all times.
- To be an approachable member of the team able to manage varied welfare issues.
At a glance
Use the tabs below to see summaries of the different aspects of this position:
- To assist the Welfare Manager in briefing House Parents of their responsibilities and then support them throughout the course.
- To manage the residence allocated to you, ensuring that it is a welcoming and functioning environment and assisting in allocating students to rooms.
- Ensuring that all room checks are completed thoroughly and all damages recorded.
- To remain on-site and in the designated residence at all times when on duty.
- To conduct nightly house meetings with all students staying in the residence, ensuring students go to bed on time and that order is kept at night times.
- To be responsible for security within your designated residence.
- To assist students in getting up, being on time for meals, lessons, transport arrangements and all planned activities.
- To assist students in all aspects of personal hygiene, including laundry, maintaining order and cleanliness and the upkeep of their accommodation.
- To undertake the laundering of students’ clothes.
- To undertake the cleaning and maintenance of your designated residence as required.
- To assist the Welfare Manager in all aspects of the individual welfare needs of every student in the summer school including elements of pastoral care, especially making arrangements to benefit students who are unwell, homesick or otherwise inconvenienced.
- To assist in daily administrative and pastoral tasks, including meal monitoring.
- To deputize for the Welfare Manager, taking responsibility for the welfare team during that time.
- To actively encourage students to take part in the leisure program.
- To set up and lead fun, engaging and safe activities for the students.
- To lead students and International Group Leaders on excursions to a variety of locations, providing cultural information about the places they are seeing.
- To ensure that all aspects of the leisure program run smoothly and safely.
- To assist in daily administrative and pastoral tasks as requested by line management, including meal monitoring.
- To carry out arrival and departure airport transfers, providing an excellent first and last impression of LAL Summer Schools.
- To be fully engaged with students and International Group Leaders in the rigors of summer school work, providing excellent customer service while delivering the LAL Summer School product.
- To consistently ensure the welfare of the students remains paramount.
- To live on-site, board and lodging provided as part of the salary package, from four days prior to the start of the course to attend induction training, until the end of the last contracted day.
- To carry out all tasks concerned with the setting up, administration and closing down of the course as advised by line management.
- To address any student, International Group Leader or host site representatives issues, complaints or suggestions by ensuring that the relevant LAL staff are made aware.
- To act in a friendly and professional manner with all of LAL’s agents, clients and staff and not to engage in any activity which may bring LAL or the designated host school into disrepute.
- To assist all students, International Group Leaders and LAL agents to derive the maximum benefit from the course.
- To follow all LAL policies and procedures.
- To read and be fully conversant with all training materials relating to the role, prior to the start of the period of employment.
- To attend and lead all required meetings as instructed by the management team.
- To hold the center 24-hour emergency phone on a rota basis.
- To be flexible to carry out any other duties as may be reasonably assigned by the Summer School management team, either at center or at Head Office.
EssentialYou must be eligible to work in the US (LAL do not sponsor visas)
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent
- Computer literate with emphasis on Microsoft Word, Outlook & Excel
- A good understanding of child welfare
- Very good level of spoken and written English (CEFR B2 minimum, e.g. FCE/IELTS 5-6.5)
- Experience in a summer school environment
- Experience working with young people
- Pastoral care experience
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Meticulous and thorough approach to work
- Effective people management skills
- ‘Can do’ approach to work
- Strong time management skills
- Excellent communication skills and a team mentality
- Ability to work under pressure and be adaptable
- Knowledge of foreign cultures
- Responsible approach to working with juniors
- Interests in foreign and local cultures
- Satisfactory background check
- Other qualification in a relevant discipline
- Educated to bachelor’s degree level
- First aid / life guarding qualification
- Driving license
- Previous experience in a similar role
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Computer literate with emphasis on Microsoft Office
Don’t forget to fill in all the fields marked with a red *
What we do
LAL works hard to ensure to the satisfaction of our students who come to study with us and improve their English year after year. A talented and hardworking team is absolutely essential in achieving this, and we aim to assist our employees by doing the following things:
We aim to motivate our employees by providing them with a friendly and positive working environment, supporting them in the best way necessary and setting realistic and achievable targets and goals.
To ensure that our employees fully understand the way that the company works and the procedures in which they need to follow, a series of clear and concise Policies and Procedures are set out and are easily accessible for staff to read and understand.
Hard Work and Dedication doesn’t go unnoticed at LAL, and employees undergo regular performance reviews to ensure that they are happy and doing well. Employees are rewarded in the form of Long Service Awards, Employee of the Month Awards, Birthday Presents, Christmas Letters and Christmas and End of Summer Parties.
Related Job Openings
This one not for you? Why not have a look at what other job openings are available at UK Summer Schools?