English Language Teacher (EFL)
- To prepare lessons and teach English to students from overseas across a range of levels and ages.
- To set homework appropriate to the student’s course and give feedback.
- To arrange and carry out regular testing and report to academic managers on progress of students.
- To follow the prescribed syllabus and content of courses.
- Check individual student understanding of instructions and new language via appropriate methods throughout lessons.
- To assist in the placement testing of students and placement as required.
- To maintain accurate and up-to-date documentation in sufficient detail, as advised by the Academic Department.
- To take responsibility for the overall presentation of the learning environment and ensure the classroom is prepared in advance of the class starting.
- To keep abreast of pedagogic innovations in ELT and attend teacher development sessions.
- To keep up to date knowledge and skills in all aspects of IT relevant to your role and utilise these appropriately in the classroom.
- To use all LAL provided software including LAL Advantage and Office 365 to maximise the learner experience.
- To meet learner expectations and market standards in regard to student classroom experience.
- To induct all students with Health & Safety procedures according to LAL’s H&S Policy.
- To submit to periodic classroom observations by line management, the British Council, or any other interested party.
- To attend meetings when required.
- To be responsible for your on-going professional development by attending CPD sessions internally and training externally where appropriate or advised.
- To protect the property and equipment of LAL, maintain security and avoid loss and/or damage.
- To maintain confidentiality of all information and materials belonging to LAL.
- To carry out any other duties as may be reasonably assigned by the General Manager and/or Senior Teacher and/or Academic Manager.
- Degree qualification or equivalent
- CELTA or DELTA or equivalent
- Experience of cultures other than that of the UK
- Excellent communication skills in dealing with all relevant stakeholders e.g. all colleagues and students and International Group Leaders
- To be able to communicate with international learners of all levels
- Computer literate, including knowledge and ability to use LAL Advantage, Office 365 and MS Office Suite
- Excellent level of written and spoken English
- Friendly and approachable
- Team player
- Excellent customer service manner
- Ability to take personal responsibility in an unexpected situation e.g. medical emergency
- Good organisational skills
- Takes responsibility for own learning and development
- Enhanced DBS clearance.
- Experience of teaching EFL students in a multi-lingual context
- Experience in exam preparation teaching – Cambridge Suite, IELTS, TOEFL, TOEIC and Trinity Examinations
- Experience in teaching English for Business
- Experience in teaching young learners
- Ability to speak and write in languages other than English
Don’t forget to fill in all the fields marked with a red *
What we do
LAL works hard to ensure to the satisfaction of our students who come to study with us and improve their English year after year. A talented and hardworking team is absolutely essential in achieving this, and we aim to assist our employees by doing the following things:
We aim to motivate our employees by providing them with a friendly and positive working environment, supporting them in the best way necessary and setting realistic and achievable targets and goals.
To ensure that our employees fully understand the way that the company works and the procedures in which they need to follow, a series of clear and concise Policies and Procedures are set out and are easily accessible for staff to read and understand.
Hard Work and Dedication doesn’t go unnoticed at LAL, and employees undergo regular performance reviews to ensure that they are happy and doing well. Employees are rewarded in the form of Long Service Awards, Employee of the Month Awards, Birthday Presents, Christmas Letters and Christmas and End of Summer Parties.
Related Job Openings
This one not for you? Why not have a look at what other job openings are available at UK Summer Schools?