At a glance
Use the tabs below to see summaries of the different aspects of this position:
- To perform all duties and tasks expected of an Activity Leader.
- To be jointly responsible with line management for the smooth running of the leisure program, which includes activities, excursions, and airport transfers.
- To assist line manager in all aspects of planning, improving, and delivering the leisure program.
- To assist line manager in co-ordinating airport transfers to and from the school.
- To lead and assist with both arrival and departure airport transfers, providing a positive first and last impression of LAL Summer Schools.
- To assist line manager in the allocation of staff to the leisure program.
- To assist with the development and training of Activity Leaders on excursion/activity leadership, ensuring students’ safety and well-being at all times.
- To actively encourage students to take part in the leisure program.
- To organize, set up and lead fun, engaging, and safe activities for the students.
- To lead students and International Group Leaders on excursions to a variety of locations, providing cultural information about the places they are seeing.
- To fully execute all aspects of each excursion, including the delivery of a tour as detailed in each Excursion Information Sheet.
- To ensure that all aspects of the leisure program run smoothly and safely.
- To assist in daily administrative and pastoral tasks as requested by line management, including meal monitoring.
- To assist line management in all aspects of planning and delivering the activity program.
- To organize and lead fun, engaging, and safe activities for the students.
- To take initiative in designing new activities and ideas for the leisure program and to ensure all activities are well promoted to staff and students, ensuring an enthusiastic response to the whole activity program.
- To assist the Leisure Manager in ensuring there is always a clear plan and schedule outlining the activity program, produced well in advance.
- To provide House Parent cover as and when required (up to 2 nights per week) which includes:
- Manage the residence, ensuring it is a secure, welcoming and functioning environment – maintaining order and cleanliness.
- Remain on-site and in the designated residence at all times when on House Parent duty, ensuring students know where to go if they have a problem during the night.
- Conduct nightly house meetings with all students staying in the residence.
- Ensure students go to bed on time and that order is kept at night times.
- To assist House Parents, where necessary, in ensuring students are in their accommodation on time for the house meetings and bed.
- To assist students in being on time for meals, transport arrangements and all planned activities.
- To hold the center 24-hour emergency phone on a rota basis.
- To be fully engaged with students and International Group Leaders in the rigors of summer school work, providing excellent customer service while delivering the LAL Summer School product.
- To consistently ensure the welfare of the students remains paramount.
- To live on-site, board and lodging provided as part of the salary package, from four days prior to the start of the course to attend induction training, until the end of the last contracted day.
- To carry out all tasks concerned with the setting up, administration, and closing down of the course as advised by line management.
- To address any student, International Group Leader or host site representative issues, complaints or suggestions by ensuring the relevant LAL staff are made aware.
- To act in a friendly and professional manner with all of LAL’s agents, clients and staff and not to engage in any activity which may bring LAL or the designated host school into disrepute.
- To assist all students, International Group Leaders, and LAL agents to derive the maximum benefit from the course.
- To follow all LAL policies and procedures, including but not limited to dress code, safeguarding, maintaining student discipline and avoiding loss and/or damage to LAL property or property belonging to the host school.
- To read and be fully conversant with all training materials relating to the role, and all pertinent CEA Accreditation requirements, prior to the start of the period of employment.
- To both lead and attend all required meetings with staff, fellow senior staff, International Group Leaders, and host site representatives.
- To assist students in being on time for meals, transportation, and all excursions, including supervising at meal times on a rota basis.
- To assist Welfare Manager and House Parents where necessary, in ensuring students are in their accommodation on time and in bed.
- To be flexible to carry out any other duties as may be reasonably assigned by the Summer School management team, either in center or at Head Office.
- a) Educated to degree level or equivalent (A)
- b) Computer literate with emphasis on Microsoft Word, Outlook & Excel (A/I)
- c) Very good level of spoken and written English (CEFR B2 minimum, e.g. FCE/IELTS 5-6.5) (A/I/T)
- a) Experience in a summer school environment (A)
- b) Experience working with young people (A)
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- a) Effective people management skills (A/I/R)
- b) Meticulous and thorough approach to work (A/I/R)
- c) ‘Can do’ approach to work (I/R)
- d) Strong time management skills (I/R)
- e) Excellent communication skills and a team mentality (I/R)
- f) Ability to work under pressure and be adaptable (I/R)
- g) A good understanding of child welfare (A/I)
- a) Responsible approach to working with juniors (A/I/R)
- b) Some knowledge of foreign cultures (A/I)
- c) Satisfactory background check or equivalent (A)
- d) Interest in foreign and local cultures
- a) First Aid certificate/Life Guard certificate (A)
- b) Driver’s license (A)
- a) At least 1 year of experience in a senior role directly concerned with programming activities (A/I)
- b) At least 1 year of experience managing activities (A/I)
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- a) Knowledge of a foreign language (A)
- b) Computer literate with experience of using Microsoft Office365 (A)
Don’t forget to fill in all the fields marked with a red *
What we do
LAL works hard to ensure to the satisfaction of our students who come to study with us and improve their English year after year. A talented and hardworking team is absolutely essential in achieving this, and we aim to assist our employees by doing the following things:
We aim to motivate our employees by providing them with a friendly and positive working environment, supporting them in the best way necessary and setting realistic and achievable targets and goals.
To ensure that our employees fully understand the way that the company works and the procedures in which they need to follow, a series of clear and concise Policies and Procedures are set out and are easily accessible for staff to read and understand.
Hard Work and Dedication doesn’t go unnoticed at LAL, and employees undergo regular performance reviews to ensure that they are happy and doing well. Employees are rewarded in the form of Long Service Awards, Employee of the Month Awards, Birthday Presents, Christmas Letters and Christmas and End of Summer Parties.
Related Job Openings
This one not for you? Why not have a look at what other job openings are available at UK Summer Schools?