Non-residential Teacher / Activity Leader
At a glance
Use the tabs below to see summaries of the different aspects of this position:
- To prepare and teach engaging and communicative lessons across a range of levels to multinational classes comprising of students usually aged 12 – 18 years.
- To follow the prescribed syllabus and develop strategies for successful learning in accordance with directives from line management.
- To communicate and work with your fellow teachers as required for planning, teaching and administrative purposes
- To take responsibility for the successful academic outcomes of all students, ensuring students are aware of the aims of each lesson and how they have made progress towards these by including the setting and marking of progress tests.
- To assist in the placement testing and classroom allocation of all students.
- To maintain accurate and up-to-date records of work, classroom registers, lesson plans and any other administrative records.
- To write detailed individual student reports, appropriately and professionally for all students taught in line with the deadlines set by line management.
- To submit to periodic classroom inspections by line management.
- To assist in daily administrative and pastoral tasks as requested by line management, including meal monitoring.
- To look after any teaching materials including Round the World teachers’ notes borrowed from resources provided by LAL Head Office and to return them at the end of any course/end of contract.
- To actively encourage students to take part in the leisure program.
- To organize, set up and lead fun, engaging and safe activities for the students.
- To lead students and International Group Leaders on excursions to a variety of locations, providing cultural information about the places they are seeing.
- To fully execute all aspects of each excursion, including the delivery of a tour as detailed in each Excursion Information Sheet.
- To be fully engaged with students and International Group Leaders in the rigors of summer school work, providing excellent customer service while delivering the LAL Summer School product.
- To consistently ensure the welfare of the students remains paramount.
- To attend induction training from three days prior to the start of the course.
- To carry out all tasks concerned with the setting up, administration and closing down of the course as advised by line management.
- To address any student, International Group Leader or host site representatives issues, complaints or suggestions by ensuring that the relevant LAL staff are made aware.
- To act in a friendly and professional manner with all of LAL’s agents, clients and staff and not to engage in any activity which may bring LAL or the designated host school into disrepute.
- To assist all students, International Group Leaders and LAL agents to derive the maximum benefit from the course.
- To follow all LAL policies and procedures, including but not limited to dress code, safeguarding, maintaining student discipline and avoiding loss and/or damage to LAL property or property belonging to the host school.
- To read and be fully conversant with all training materials relating to the role prior to the start of the period of employment.
- To be flexible to carry out any other duties as may be reasonably assigned by the Summer School management team, either in center or at Head Office.
- To attend all required meetings and CPD sessions as instructed by the management team.
- If you are a returning member of staff and have worked for LAL US Summer Schools before, you will be expected to ‘buddy up’ with new team members, using your experience to help with their development.
- To be able to fully converse in fluent English with all members of LAL US Summer School staff as a primary language.
- a) Educated to degree level or equivalent (A)
- b) Current teaching qualification, Cambridge CELTA or Trinity TESOL certificate, or equivalent (A)
- c) Excellent level of spoken and written English (CEFR C1 minimum, e.g. CAE/IELTS 7-8)
- a) Experience with and a responsible approach to working with young learners (A/I/R)
- b) Experience in a summer school environment
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- a) Dynamic ‘can do’ approach to work (A/I)
- b) Strong time management skills (A/I)
- c) Excellent communication skills and a team mentality (A/I)
- d) Ability to work under pressure and be adaptable (A/I)
- f) Effective people management skills (I)
- a) Some knowledge of foreign culture (A/I)
- b) Satisfactory criminal background check or equivalent (A/R)
- a) First Aid / Lifeguard (A/I)
- b) Driver’s License (A)
- a) Experience in exam preparation teaching; IELTS / Cambridge English / TOEFL (A/I/R)
- b) Experience of creating and facilitating CPD sessions and / or teacher training (A/I)
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- a) Good working knowledge of at least one foreign language (A/I)
- b) Computer literate with experience using Microsoft Office365 (A/I)
- c) Good knowledge of sports / arts and crafts or performing arts (A/I)
Don’t forget to fill in all the fields marked with a red *
What we do
LAL works hard to ensure to the satisfaction of our students who come to study with us and improve their English year after year. A talented and hardworking team is absolutely essential in achieving this, and we aim to assist our employees by doing the following things:
We aim to motivate our employees by providing them with a friendly and positive working environment, supporting them in the best way necessary and setting realistic and achievable targets and goals.
To ensure that our employees fully understand the way that the company works and the procedures in which they need to follow, a series of clear and concise Policies and Procedures are set out and are easily accessible for staff to read and understand.
Hard Work and Dedication doesn’t go unnoticed at LAL, and employees undergo regular performance reviews to ensure that they are happy and doing well. Employees are rewarded in the form of Long Service Awards, Employee of the Month Awards, Birthday Presents, Christmas Letters and Christmas and End of Summer Parties.
Related Job Openings
This one not for you? Why not have a look at what other job openings are available at UK Summer Schools?