- Directly concerned with teaching the LAL EFL programme*
- Running CPD sessions according to LAL policy
- Ability to organize and lead level testing
- Ability to organize report and certificate printing
- Ability to organize and lead a full range of activities on-site outside of teaching hours
- Ability to confidently lead and guide students on off-site excursions
- Offer constructive support
- Communicative, welcoming and approachable
At a glance
Use the tabs below to see summaries of the different aspects of this position:
People Management Responsibilities
- To facilitate communication between teachers as required for planning, teaching and administrative purposes.
- To support teachers as needed, specifically in how to actively link the academic programme with the leisure programme and American culture through meaningful activities in the classroom.
- To organize and carry out training sessions for teachers, in conjunction with your AM and with the support of the Head of YL Academic Programmes. These sessions should be based on a review of the common work-on points from the teachers’ formal observations.
- To support the AM and AAM in their work in any reasonably requested way, as necessary.
- To prepare and teach engaging and communicative lessons across a range of levels to multinational classes comprising of students usually aged 7 – 17 years for a minimum of five teaching sessions a week
- To follow the prescribed syllabus and develop strategies for successful learning in accordance with directives from line management.
- To take responsibility for the successful academic outcomes of all students taught ensuring that students are aware of the aims of each lesson and how they have made progress towards these by including the setting and marking of progress tests.
- To assist in the placement testing and classroom allocation of all students in a timely manner.
- To maintain accurate, detailed, clear and up-to-date records of work, classroom registers, lesson plans and any other administrative records.
- To teach IELTS, Cambridge, Trinity or Abitur English Exam preparation, Intensive English, Business English, One-to-One, CLIL lessons, or Academic Study Skills lessons as directed and required by Line Manager.
- To write individual student reports fully, appropriately and professionally for all students taught, in line with the deadlines set by line management.
- To submit to periodic classroom inspections by line management.
- To assist in daily administrative and pastoral tasks as requested by line management, including meal monitoring.
- To ensure that all upgraded lessons for students have been scheduled with a teacher at an appropriate time on a weekly basis.
- To maintain up-to-date stock records of Round the World course books and to store them securely in the school office
- To be responsible for and control all academic resources including course books, CDs, DVDs, Teachers’ Notes, dictionaries, flashcards, reference books and any other teaching materials provided by Head Office.
- To actively encourage students to take part in the leisure programme.
- To organize, set up and lead fun, engaging and safe activities for the students.
- To lead students and International Group Leaders on excursions to a variety of locations, providing cultural information about the places they are seeing.
- To be fully engaged with students and International Group Leaders in the rigours of summer school work, providing excellent customer service while delivering the LAL Summer School product.
- To consistently ensure the welfare of the students remains paramount.
- To live on-site, board and lodging provided as part of the salary package, from four days prior to the start of the course to attend induction training, until the end of the last contracted day.
- To carry out all tasks concerned with the setting up, administration and closing down of the course as advised by line management.
- To address any student, International Group Leader or host site representatives issues, complaints or suggestions by ensuring that the relevant LAL staff are made aware.
- To act in a friendly and professional manner with all of LAL’s agents, clients and staff and not to engage in any activity which may bring LAL or the designated host school into disrepute.
- To assist all students, International Group Leaders and LAL agents to derive the maximum benefit from the course.
- To follow all LAL policies and procedures.
- To read and be fully conversant with all training materials relating to the role prior to the start of the period of employment.
- To be flexible to carry out any other duties as may be reasonably assigned by the Summer School management team, either in centre or at Head Office.
- To attend and lead all required meetings and CPD sessions as instructed by the management team.
- To be able to fully converse in fluent English with all members of LAL US Summer School staff as a primary language.
EssentialYou must be eligible to work in the US (LAL do not sponsor visas)
- Educated to degree level or NQF level 6 equivalent
- Cambridge CELTA or Trinity TESOL Certificate, PGCE or equivalent
- Computer literate with emphasis on Microsoft Outlook & Excel
- Knowledge of Young Learner’s ELT materials
- Excellent level of spoken and written English (CEFR C1 minimum, e.g. CAE/IELTS 7.5-9)
- Experience in a summer school environment
- Experience teaching young learners
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Effective people management skills
- ‘Can do’ approach to work
- Strong time management skills
- Excellent communication skills and a team mentality
- Ability to work under pressure and be adaptable
- Some knowledge of foreign cultures
- Responsible approach to working with juniors
- Willingness to work non-standard hours
- Satisfactory background check
- First aid / life guarding qualification
- Driving license
- Previous experience in academic management at Senior Teacher level
- Proof of materials development
- Experience in exam preparation teaching IELTS, Cambridge or Trinity examinations
- Experience teaching literature, Abitur English, business English, CLIL lessons and/or Academic Study Skills
- Experience carrying out teacher observations, creating and facilitating CPD sessions and/or teacher training if required.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Experience using Office365
Don’t forget to fill in all the fields marked with a red *
What we do
LAL works hard to ensure to the satisfaction of our students who come to study with us and improve their English year after year. A talented and hardworking team is absolutely essential in achieving this, and we aim to assist our employees by doing the following things:
We aim to motivate our employees by providing them with a friendly and positive working environment, supporting them in the best way necessary and setting realistic and achievable targets and goals.
To ensure that our employees fully understand the way that the company works and the procedures in which they need to follow, a series of clear and concise Policies and Procedures are set out and are easily accessible for staff to read and understand.
Hard Work and Dedication doesn’t go unnoticed at LAL, and employees undergo regular performance reviews to ensure that they are happy and doing well. Employees are rewarded in the form of Long Service Awards, Employee of the Month Awards, Birthday Presents, Christmas Letters and Christmas and End of Summer Parties.
Related Job Openings
This one not for you? Why not have a look at what other job openings are available at UK Summer Schools?